About the Farm Shop & Deli Awards
What are the Farm Shop & Deli Awards?
Who are the Farm Shop & Deli Awards for?
Benefits of taking part
What Awards can I win?
Can I enter more than one category?
Can I win more than one Award?
How do I enter?
How many times can I enter?
Once I enter, how do I win in the other categories?
Why do I need to get consumer votes?
As a consumer, how can I vote for an entrant?
2018 Awards Key dates
Terms and Conditions
The Farm Shop & Deli Awards, now entering their 5th year, recognise the very best standards in speciality retail and to celebrate the highest levels of service, product knowledge, initiative, innovation and community involvement.
If you are an independent retailer selling regional fresh/farm produce or with a delicatessen counter you can enter these awards.
Take a look at our fantastic 2017 Category and Regional award winners.
Our 2018 entries are now open and will close on Saturday 30th September 2018. Follow the link below to commence your entry and we wish you the best of luck!
What our judges look for
The Farm Shop & Deli Awards are a fantastic way for specialist retailers in the food and drink sector to showcase all the great work you and your team are doing nationally and with your local customers.
Entering provides an opportunity for you to raise your company profile, generate positive PR for your business, put your work and achievements in front of a highly regarded panel of judges as well as providing a fantastic opportunity to increase your customer engagement.
They are free to enter and, through the Awards comprehensive online, social media and print marketing campaign, your company profile could reach a potential audience of over 26,000 – and all it costs you is the time to complete the online entry form!
Take a look at the prizes our Retailer of the Year 2018 could be winning.
“I feel amazing and really proud to have won the awards. We decided to enter, as the awards are prestigious, recognised and fantastic for the team to be rewarded in such a way. In the build up to the final we’ve had great PR in both local publications and food magazines which is great for businesses.”
Victoria Robertshaw, Co-owner, Keelham Farm Shop. Farm Shop of the Year Large Retailer, North East Winner and overall Farm Shop & Deli Retailer of the Year
Hear from our 2017 winner Victoria Robertshaw from Keelhams Farm Shop on the benefits of taking part:
- Farm Shop - Large Retailer
- Farm Shop - Small Retailer
- Food Hall
- Online business
- Village Store / Local Shop
*If your shop/business opened after April 2015, you will automatically be entered into the 'Newcomer of the Year' award, as well as proceeding in the category you chose.
Category definitions can be found here.
- East Anglia
- North East
- North West
- Northern Ireland
- South East
- South West
Farm Shop & Deli Awards Retailer of the Year
No, a shop/business can only enter one of the categories (unless your business/shop opened after April 2015, in which case you will automatically be put forward for 'Newcomer of the Year' as well as your chosen category.)
Yes. You can enter both Category and Regional. If you win a regional Award you can also win the overall Award: Farm Shop & Deli Awards Retailer of the Year.
If your shop or business opened after April 2015, you may also be lucky enough to win the Newcomer of the Year award, as well as your Category and Regional award!
The entry process is online. Below is a useful guide on what to expect:
- When you click on the button at the bottom of this section, you will be directed to an online entry form to Create an account
- Once done, you will receive a registration confirmation email containing a link you must click on to verify your email address before you can Sign In.
- Sign In
- Complete the Entry Form
- You can save the application as you proceed and of course return to it
- Upload your photos (further details provided below)
- Check your answers and photos and ensure you have read and accepted the terms and conditions
- Only when you are 100% satisfied - Submit your Entry to complete the process.
Choosing your category:
On the online entry form you will be asked to select your category. Your category is determined by the primary focus of your business. For example, if you have a deli counter, sell fresh meat and sell baked goods - if your main business comes from your cheese counter then you should enter under 'Cheesemonger'. Our category definitions can be found here.
Answering the questions:
You will then complete the rest of the entry form be asked to complete the following key questions (minimum 100 words, maximum 250 words per answer), with tips provided to assist you:
1. What category are you entering this business for? (see 'Choosing your category' above)
2. Did this business/store open after 1st April 2015? If so you will be asked to provide month and year it opened
3. What is your business mission? (This is a statement of the purpose and values of your business that will form your profile on our 2018 entrants website page)
4. How has your business grown year on year?
5. What are your plans to grow the business over the next 12/18 months?
6. How do you ensure your staff are knowledgeable and passionate about your business and the products they sell?
7. How do you continue to develop the relationship with your community?
8. How do you select the suppliers and products you sell?
9. Why do you deserve to win?
Uploading your supporting photos:
To accompany your entry, and assist the judges, we ask you to upload the following photos when requested during the online entry process. We recommend considering and preparing these in advance of commencing your online entry.
1. Upload an image of your team
2. Upload an image of your shop front/window*
3. Upload an image showcasing your store layout*
4. Upload an image to show us your merchandise/product range
5. Upload a profile image (you are welcome to re-upload one of the above for this)
*Online business category entries will not need to provide these images but are asked to upload an additional image if their choice instead.
When you have entered your chosen category on the entry form, the correct images you need to upload will show on the TASK list.
Images should be uploaded in JPG format and we recommend files no larger than 8MB
To enable you time to complete the entry at your own convenience, you are able to access and return to the online entry form as many times as you require up to the point where you submit your entry to us. After that no further amends can be made.
Entries for the 2018 Awards are now open and will close on 30th September 2018. Click on the below link to commence your entry:
You can only enter once, under one category.
You will first be judged within your category, once category winners have been agreed judges will also choose a best regional winner. Even if you do not win in your category, you can still win within your region and visa-versa. You can also win in both Regional and Category.
Only the winners from the Regional round will have the chance to win Farm Shop & Deli Awards Retailer of the Year.
The online votes are designed for you to get as maximum exposure within your local are to raise your profile, and the voting system is designed to help you achieve this – along with the press release template, banners and voting cards for your store.
The votes are used by the judges in the judging process, all votes are compiled and read on the paper judging day. The votes are judged on quality and not quantity. They are used by the judges to get a full view of your entry.
Voting is quick and easy - simply click on the link below, select the retailer(s) you wish to vote for, complete the online voting form and submit your vote!
All online voters will be entered into a prize draw to win a food hamper. The winner will be selected and notified after the online voting closes at the end of October - good luck!
- Entries opened on 20th June 2017 and will close 30th September 2017
- Consumer voting will open in August 2017 and will close 31st October 2017
- Judging will take place October to November ahead of the face-to-face judges deliberations in mid November
- After the initial round of judging the 'secret' visits will take place in December/January/February
- Category and Regional Award finalists will be revealed in March 2018
- Category winners, Regional Winners and the overall winner, the Farm Shop & Deli Retailer of the Year, will be announced at Farm Shop & Deli Show at the NEC, Birmingham, on Monday 16 April 2018