Congratulations to cannon hall farm shop, the 2019 Farm Shop & Deli Retailer of the Year
Retailer of the Year winners Cannon Hall Farm Shop collecting their Award from Nigel Barden, Debbie Edge and Callum Edge.
Cannon Hall Farm Shop,based in Barnsley, won the coveted Farm Shop & Deli 2019 Retailer of the Year Award. Impressing this year’s expert panel of judges and beating off the competition from the broad scope of excellence in independent fine food retail nationwide, Cannon Hall Farm Shopcleaned up by taking home the award for Farm Shop of the Year large retailer, the North East regional award and the overall Retailer of the Year.
The award was announced and presented to Richard Nicholson and Caroline Glover by Nigel Barden, food journalist and Chair of this year’s judges, on Monday 8th April at the Farm Shop & Deli Show 2019, which took place at NEC Birmingham. Also presenting the award was 2018 Retailer of the Year and a member of this year’s judging panel, Debbie and Callum Edge from Edge and Son.
The robust judging process is managed by a panel of food industry experts that included the likes of Chairman of the Judges, food critic, journalist and broadcaster Nigel Barden; acclaimed food and drink writer, chef and Co-Chair of the Judges, Elaine Lemm; Food Trends Reporter for The Grocer Ashleigh O'Mahoney and Georgina Wald, Corporate Communications Manager at Fuller, Smith & Turner- plus many more!
2019 Judging panel at the judges deliberations in November 2018.
What makes CANNon hall farm shop a worthy winner?
Co-chair of judges, Elaine Lemm, told us:
“Roger Nicholson took over Cannon Hall Farm at the age of 16 following the untimely death of his father, but in the 1980s, with farming becoming less and less profitable it became clear the farm needed to either diversify or sell. Against the advice of his bank, he headed down the diversification route, and today Cannon Hall is a resounding success. Alongside the farm shop, there are two restaurants plus a dog-friendly café; there are adventure playgrounds; a year-round programme for visiting schools and a new £1.5 million farmyard where visitors can see the day to day workings of a modern farmyard including a milking parlour and a Rare Breeds Barn.
The Nicholson family may have created a thriving commercially prosperous business, but they have never let go of what is still at the heart of this enterprise, their grandfather's farm. With their hugely successful, busy farm shop to supply, they produce 1000 pigs, 900 lambs and over 300 cattle each year.
With awards and plaudits both regionally and nationally, it is no surprise that Cannon Hall and the Nicholson family are recognised as one of the pioneering businesses of this sector and worthy winners of the Farm Shop and Deli Retailer of the Year award.”
Other members of our juding panel also commented:
- Interesting day to day view of a working farm. Great employer. Good social networking. Beautiful butchery counter with aging display.
- Always impressed by the sheer dynamism and success of what is still at its heart a farm. The figures are so impressive and they continue to grow as they say in what is a difficult time all round for retail.
- They measure smiles on faces and bums on seats, love it. They dont miss a trick and their digital presence is fab.
- The story behind Cannon Hall is so lovely from where they were to where they are now.
- The thing that most impressed me about this entry was the farm shop's incredible adoption of social media - the business has really harnessed its power, and I'm hugely impressed by the number of followers on its social media accounts.
- This business ticks a lot of boxes, and I particularly like that it's become so involved in local causes and events. Education is an important part of the role of a farm shop these days, and Cannon Hall is doing this well. Very impressive growth and clear dedication to the cause - well done, team.
As part of the judging process customers were invited to comment on the company, and here are just some of the comments Cannon Hall Farm Shop received:
- Good choice of quality produce. Friendly, helpful staff. An all round enjoyable shopping experience!
- This place has everything! Some of the best meat I have ever tasted to the biggest wine selection I've ever seen at a farm shop. Fantastic customer service and nothing is ever too much for the staff members.
- Canon Hall farm shop is outstanding, we come has a family two or three times a month and stock up on fresh meat, vegetables and sometimes products from the deli counter. All the staff are extremely friendly and helpful and nothing is to big or small.
- Cannon hall farm shop is an excellent family run business that appears to go from strength to strength and just keeps on achieving too the highest level and provides butchery to the local communities and further.
- As soon as you enter you are in an Aladdin’s cave of pure decadence what do you look at first.
Take a look at all our 2019 Farm Shop & Deli Awards category and regonal winners here.