Farm Shop & Deli Awards 2016: Winners Announced
After receiving more than 350 entries from across the country, the 12 category winners and the 9 regional winners of the Farm Shop & Deli Awards 2016 were revealed at a ceremony in Birmingham yesterday.
Across the 12 categories, 2 of the regional winners were farm shops and 2 were butchers, one of which was Arthur Howell who also takes home the Retailer of the Year 2016 flagship award. In addition 6 of the category winners also went on to become 2016 regional winners.
Arthur Howell Winner of Retailer of the Year, East Anglia Regional Award and Butcher of the Year
The awards, in partnership with Olives Et Al, are now in their third year and recognise the best specialist independent retailers in the UK. They celebrate the highest levels of service, product knowledge, initiative, innovation and community involvement offered by these businesses across the UK.
Winners of this year’s coveted awards are:
- Bondgate Bakery - Baker of the Year
- Arthur Howell - Butcher of the Year, East Anglia Regional winner & Retailer of the Year!
- The Courtyard Dairy - Cheesemonger of the Year & North West Regional winner
- The Hungry Guest - Delicatessen of the Year
- Darts Farm - Farm Shop Large Retailer of the Year, sponsored by Lakeland computers & South West Regional winner
- Cross Lanes Organic Farm Ltd – Farm Shop Small Retailer of the Year
- Veasey & Sons - Fishmonger of the Year & South East Regional winner
- Ludlow Food Centre - Food Hall of the Year
- K.D. Davis & Sons - Greengrocer of the Year & North East Regional winner
- Shropshire’s Own - Local Shop of the Year, sponsored by Blakemore Fine Foods & Midlands Regional winner
- Stroud Farmers’ Market - Market of the Year
- Clogher Valley Meats (Butchers) – Northern Ireland Regional winner
- Parsnips and Pears - Online Business of the Year.
- Billingtons of Lenzie (Delicatessen) – Scotland Regional winner
- Rhug Estate Farm Shop – Wales Regional winner
Arthur Howell, butchers from Norfolk, won their category award, their regional award and the coveted Retailer of the Year for 2016!
The awards were judged by a team of experts from the world of speciality retail, fine food and food media, including Jon May, Managing Director Fabulous Food & Drink, Giles Henschel, Co Founder & CEO Olives Et Al and Ross Gilfillan, Editor Speciality Food magazine. Shortlisted entrants were chosen, judges then carried out a series of undercover visits to see them in action before selecting the category winners.
Nigel Barden, Chairman of Judges and Food and Drink Journalist/Broadcaster, says: “The entries this year were outstanding – judging becomes harder every year. I think what stands out the most from the businesses we visited this year was a passion for customer service and continued innovation. There are some very driven and talented food retailers in Britain and they deserve to be recognised by awards such as these. I hope that the 2016 winners will benefit through increased press attention and footfall as a result of these awards.”
Nigel Barden, Chairman of judges
Elaine Lemm, the Co-Chair of Judges and renowned Food Writer, adds: "I was, once again, blown away by the standard of entries this year. It is fantastic to see so many businesses, new and established, working to consistently raise standards and maintain strong growth. These businesses owners deserve to be championed for the great work they are doing and I have been honoured to be part of that process.”
Arthur Howell, 2016 Retailer of the Year Winners, comments “We are over the moon and very surprised, it is really great to win these awards. It is nice for our staff to be rewarded as they work exceptionally hard, it makes a big difference. Our customers are always pleased when we win awards because they feel part of it. It makes them feel they are shopping in the right place.
We are sure it will have a heavy impact on the business and we will be displaying the award proudly, and promoting our win on Social Media.
It’s made me quite speechless, such a fantastic thing to win. This is a very special award.
Farm Shop & Deli Show ran from Monday 18 April through to Wednesday 20 April 2016. The 2017 show will run from Monday 24 April to Wednesday 26 April 2017. It’s free to attend and visitors can register their interest at www.farmshopanddelishow.co.ukw.farmshopanddelishow.co.uk
Farm Shop & Deli Show 2016
The Farm Shop & Deli Show 2016 was brought to you by William Reed Business Media, leading publishers and event organiser for over 150 years, with an extensive grocery and retail portfolio including over 10 award schemes and campaigns, three major conferences, three trade exhibitions and numerous seminars and networking lunches.
Follow Farm Shop & Deli on twitter: www.twitter.com/FarmShop_Deli #FSD2016
“Like” Farm Shop & Deli on Facebook: www.facebook.com/FarmShopDeli
Join us on LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/groups/Farm-Shop-Deli-Show